[LMB] Discussions

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Sun Jul 18 17:49:40 BST 2021

On 18/07/2021 14:06, Elizabeth Holden wrote:
> Seems to me that it does: it's a veto on topics that could cause
> real dissension in the lists, which can be wielded by anyone - wasn't there
> once a three-day period for it?
And while it was designed as a defensive weapon for the list, we've also
seen it used in offense, where a person started a discussion, made their
point, and then called pizza when people started rebutting their point.
> I blinked at the notion that the Bujold novels are not political.
> They are all about governance, whether good or bad or indeterminate, and how
> individuals cope within that milieu. Is it American politics? I would
> argue, because the author is American,it is flavoured by American history
> and culture, and that's certainly not a bad thing.

I think you are referring to something I wrote. And I think I did use
the phrase "not overtly political".

Sure, they talk about governance and what is a good or bad way to treat
people, but they don't take place in the current environment, the
political systems the people interact with most are not the political
systems prevalent today. And unlike some SF writers, the antagonists are
not thin caricatures of the political side the author dislikes.

That is what I meant by "not OVERTLY political".

I have my own interpretation of which political options would be
compatible with "the good guys" of LMB books, but I could be wrong since
people who seem to deeply disagree with my political views also seem to
enjoy the same books.