[LMB] Assassination via demon

Eric Oppen ravenclaweric at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 19:13:08 BST 2021

It probably says a lot about me (and I'm sure that none of it reflects well
on me) that my immediate reaction to finding out how this assassination was
supposed to be carried out wasn't shock or horror, but "How ingenious!"
For better or worse, I have a streak of cold-bloodedness that can evaluate
even the worst schemes without getting indignant about them.   One reason,
I suppose, that my favorite Frederick Forsyth novel is *The Day of the
Jackal*---I can appreciate all the ingenious planning.  And critique the
places where the Jackal, or his employers, made stupid mistakes.

However, I'd have taken a different approach.  Instead of using the demon
to directly kill my target, I'd have done something like weaken a ladder he
was on just at the worst possible time, or something like that.  AIUI, that
doesn't destroy the demon---and a demon strikes me as a very useful thing
to have.