[LMB] Assassination via demon

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 18 20:55:50 BST 2021

From: Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com>

E - It probably says a lot about me (and I'm sure that none of it reflects well
on me) that my immediate reaction to finding out how this assassination was
supposed to be carried out wasn't shock or horror, but "How ingenious!"

Gwynne: A touch of bloodlust isn't necessarily a BAD thing...

E - However, I'd have taken a different approach.  Instead of using the demon
to directly kill my target, I'd have done something like weaken a ladder he
was on just at the worst possible time, or something like that.  AIUI, that
doesn't destroy the demon---and a demon strikes me as a very useful thing
to have.

Gwynne: That would have taken a lot more training, to fine-tune the
power. Alixtra was given the least training possible, she doesn't know
the most basic demon-working lore. It was in their interests to keep
her as ignorant as possible. Fine-tuning to carefully weaken a ladder
would take much more training, which means she'd be around more,
with demon on board - sooner or later someone would wonder why
a hedge-sorcerer was close to Methani and Tronio. Tronio was stealing
small demons from the temple, someone might get suspicious and
put two and two together.