[LMB] Komarr

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 19 10:14:02 BST 2021

From: "A. Marina Fournier" <saffronrose at me.com>

Peter:
> The mutation was just the worst of many things where he was too dumb to cope, and too self-important to admit that he couldn't handle it.  A murderous combination, especially when you drag a partner and child down with you.  It's all too realistic.

Realistic all right?fits my father, too.
A. Marina Fournier

Gwynne: It's interesting that Ekaterin had a (failure of a) husband with a
hidden mutation, and she moved on to a husband with very obvious
problems, who'd learned how to deal with them. There's an interesting
study in that.

But the clearest example of the difference between them was a moment
at the end of Flowers of Vashnoi. Ekaterin is in hospital being checked and
treated for radiation exposure. She has a passing thought that she knows
she's in the best possible place for treatment, because if anywhere else was
better Miles would have moved her there.

Tien protected her by putting her in a little box, and cutting off outside
contact and relationships. Miles made sure she had the best and safest
equipment when she was working in a radiation zone. He's her support
team, not her jailor.