[LMB] OT: Religion and one-up-manship, 7/17

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Tue Jul 20 21:58:39 BST 2021

On 20/07/2021 14:07, Tony Zbaraschuk wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 6:08 PM Harvey Fishman <fishman at panix.com> wrote:
>
>> Subject: Re: [LMB] OT: Religion and one-up-manship, 7/17
>> I was taught that The Tetragrammaton was never to be literally
>> pronounced. I say Adonai instead. I thought that Elohim translated to
>> The Lord rather than His name.
>>
> "Elohim" translates to "God" generally.
> "Adonai", "Lord" is a euphemism for YHWH, the Name of God.

I recently watched an Israeli film ("Footnote"). In an early part a
protagonist wants to enter a venue, and is stopped by  a security guard.
I was surprised to hear the security guy consistently addressing him as
"adonai", which the subtitles translated as "Sir".

It reminded me strongly of Homer Simpson saying "Maybe, just once,
someone will call me 'Sir', without adding 'you are causing a scene'".