[LMB] Books to live in

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Wed Jul 21 21:01:55 BST 2021

On 21/07/2021 17:00, Gwynne Powell wrote:

> While we're thinking about another on-topic thread, here's a fun one:
> Which of Lois's worlds would you choose to live in - the Vorkosiverse,
> the Wide Green World, or the Five Gods Universe? (And why, of course.)
>
> For extra credit, where and how would you choose to live there? After
> all, there's a big difference between farm life, urban life or Lakewalker
> life; Chalion, Orbas, Cedonia, the Weald, shaman or sorcerer (and which
> timeline; Barrayar, Cetaganda, Beta or Jackson's Whole. Etc.
>
> There's pluses (and minuses) for each choice.
>
> I don't have an answer just yet because I'm torn, plus it's late and I'm
> trying to get into sleep mode.

Oh, for me it's Vorkosiverse, no question. While I love the 5G stories,
and might want to visit for a brief time, I don't think I would want to
live there.

The negatives of 5G for me are not only the lack of technology there,
but the existence of gods who meddle in human affairs.

But the pluses of Vorkosiverse are much bigger than the minuses of the
other ones (for me). The ability to travel to other planets, wow!

Of course, the question is where in Vorkosiverse I would live. While I
would love to imagine myself as a high-ranking Vor, I might get stuck as
a middle manager on Escobar somewhere. Scrimping and saving so that one
day I might take a tour of other planets.