[LMB] Demon horses

Margaret Dean margdean56 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 04:09:30 BST 2021

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 12:32 PM Pouncer via Lois-Bujold <

> The saint of Lodi also described a demon horse, from
> which the demon was preserved recall.  And
> Desdemona herself included a horse (mare) among prior
> hosts.  I wonder if horses are preferred by the
> gods and administrations of the 5GU, if for no
> other reason than to emphasize the "rider/ridden"
> relationship between mortal hosts and demons.

I suspect it's just part of a wider preference for domesticated animals,
especially trainable ones, as pre-sorcerer hosts for demons--though I note
that Desdemona's first host was a *wild* mare. Interesting that there are,
or were, still some of those running around. cf. Horseriver, I suppose,
since most of the other kin animals seem to be wild, too.

--Margaret Dean
  <margdean56 at gmail.com>