[LMB] Religion question

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Thu Jul 22 12:52:35 BST 2021

On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 11:07:51 -0400, Elizabeth Holden
<alzurite at gmail.com> wrote:

>Peter Hews said:
>
>>   Atheism wasn't an option before science.
>
>Sure it was, though I'm not sure what you mean by "before science" - seems
>to me that science, as a way to understand the world by observation and
>experiment, goes back to the ancient Greeks, if not the ancient Sanskrit
>speakers. Do you mean the Age of Enlightenment?
>
>There are references to atheists in 5th century BC Greece, according to
>Wikipedia.
>
>There were atheists and agnostics too, in ancient times - people who didn't
>believe they existed or that they did what people said they did. But they'd
>have more reason than people do nowadays to keep silent about it.

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will
not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the
virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you
should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be
gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories
of your loved ones.”

-  Marcus Aurelius
--
'Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of'   (Steven Wright)