[LMB] OT: Religion question

brazee howard at brazee.net
Thu Jul 22 18:02:04 BST 2021

> On Jul 22, 2021, at 7:49 AM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Gwynne: My personal definition is that fanatics go through their chosen
> religious book and actively seek out, or twist, even the slightest reference
> to support their particular dogma, while ignoring the large, obvious messages
> that totally negate it. They'll break most of the main rules of their religion,
> while ostentatiously pretending to follow certain others, and enforcing them
> brutally on everyone else, to show their superiority in the religious hierarchy.
>
> Beware the 'one word' people, the ones whose entire belief system is based
> on one or two passing mentions, that they use to justify everything they do.

Certainly.   And their “belief system” doesn’t have to be a religion.

So often it’s almost purely a matter of identity.   They grab a label the way sports teams have nicknames, and then they make some effort modifying their dogma to fit their label.

While they are in minorities within their religions/belief systems, they are loud and have big impacts, usually harming the religions they proclaim to support.