[LMB] Death demon

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 01:17:03 BST 2021

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 5:14 PM Lois Bujold <lbujold at myinfmail.com> wrote:

> The murder victim's soul stands or falls in the afterlife on its own
> merits,
> though since already deep in a pit of its own digging (or the miracle
> would not have been granted) its chances of preservation by any god seem
> slim.

This seems like a pretty solid general principle.  What about cases like
the Golden General?  It seems pretty clear that his death came about only
because the White God considered him an acceptable target for some
death-demon-ing; the Father presumably stood behind his chosen and didn't
withdraw his favor, because it couldn't have been directed against Chalion
as a curse as the GG's dying action otherwise.  And if Caz hadn't been
preserved as an agent for the Daughter, his soul would have been taken
along with Dondo's; I can't see the gods erasing him when they've extended
mercy to monsters.

Matt G.