[LMB] Five Gods Afterlives

Robert Woodward Robert_A_Woodward at comcast.net
Fri Jul 23 06:14:03 BST 2021

> On Jul 22, 2021, at 7:51 PM, Douglas Weinfield <douglasw at his.com> wrote:
>
> As I recall, there are three possible outcomes after a person's body dies in the 5GU:
>
> 1. They are taken up by one of the Five Gods. It's unclear what happens, other than that it's filled with wonder. It's unclear whether each of the Five Gods has their own afterlife, whether they're in common, or whether they overlap, or something else.
>
> 2. They are sundered, and not taken up by any of the Gods. Sometimes they can be taken up later, and sometimes they wander around as ghosts, losing memory and will, until they become smudges( and then fade away?).
>
> 3. They can go to the Bastard's Hell, and be end up in a "roiling pool of demn energy, without form, without personas, without mind or wills or song or speech or memories or any gift of higher order...." This was the fate of Joen and Martou.

It was the fate of Joen, but I see nothing, other than Cazaril’s opinion, of Dondo’s destination. Martou was taken up by the Father of Winter, even though he had been carried off by the death demon. In fact, I suspect that of the two fatalities associated with death magic, the one who called on the Bastard is taken up by him, and the other is taken up by whatever god who would have taken them up if somebody had stabbed them in the back.

Robert Woodward robertaw at drizzle.com