[LMB] OT: fanatics (23/07)- was Religion question

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 01:27:43 BST 2021

'Moderate' is not the opposite of 'fanatic'.  Moderates can be
single-minded.  Moderates can be excessive.  Moderates can be uncritically
enthusiastic (not mentioned in that definition, but present in others).

The first four synonyms you offer aren't bad, although I'd dispute
'militant', but the latter ones simply don't apply.  A crank holds an
irrational and insane position on a topic.

Matt G.