[LMB] Five Gods Afterlives, a bit of 5GU theology

Elizabeth Holden alzurite at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 17:09:07 BST 2021

Gwynne said:

> I always assume that eternity is outside time, as we know it.

And surely it would be outside space, too.

> A couple of other personal reflections:
> First, our views of Heaven and Hell are based on other speculations
> in the past; if you go back to the original source you find that most of
> the extra details have been added in. People like to complicate things.

And the metaphors (or imaginings) of other centuries don't transmit well to
us.

I have noticed that authors and philosophers don't have much of a problem
depicting dystopias, but have a terrible time imagining utopias - that is,
it's much easier to make a detailed description of a bad situation than a
good one. So much so that most people's attempts to define a utopia come
across to others as distopias. (Is Sir Thomas More listening to me from an
afterlife?)

I like Dante's description of heaven: "instinct and intellect balanced
equally, as in a wheel whose motion nothing jars, by the love which moves
the sun and the stars."  Which, like Gwynne's definition, is an internal
definition - that which is inside us.  We could call it "impulse and
thought" or "emotion and reason".

> I don't think of Hell as being hot and noisy (that's just any summer day
> in Australia.) For me, it's dark, silent and chilly, and empty.

Dante's icy lake.

>  Heaven is light, warm, full of music and laughter.

I'd add silence to that. Peace. Or sounds of nature.

So in the 5GU, would these same principles of an afterlife apply?

> One day I'm starting my own religion. I really need to start working on
> a good name for it. Most of the really good names are already taken.

Names are often provided by the followers, not the creators of the religion
- or the names that the creators use are changed.  So I'd say: don't let a
little thing like a name stop you.

So in the 5GU, would these principles of an afterlife apply?

namaste,
Elizabeth