[LMB] Five Gods Afterlives

Lois Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Sat Jul 24 17:25:19 BST 2021

[LMB] Five Gods Afterlives
Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 24 16:55:45 BST 2021

Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
 > From: Joel Polowin <jpolowin at hotmail.com>
 >> I don't think that he would lie intentionally, but I'm not sure that his
 >> knowledge is entirely reliable on that point, and he's not a theologian.
 >> What he *observed* was that the dy Jironals and the demon went
 >> "elsewhere".  He *believed* that Dondo and the death demon had partly
 >> merged, and inferred from that that Dondo's soul would have been dragged
 >> along to wherever the death demon ended up.
 > Gwynne: That means that Ista's perceptions are no more accurate. But Caz
 > is sure of what he saw, so that's what we have to go by. If we start
saying that
 > characters didn't really see what they thought they saw, it can
negate just
 > about anything.

Joel:  Ista was directly observing that Joen got dragged to the
Bastard's hell,
and her perceptions were tied to what was happening to the demons.
Caz didn't have that, explicitly per the book.  Word of Author is that
Dondo went to the Bastard's hell too, yes, but that's not from Caz's own
observations as described.

LMB:  In Caz's awed moments of premortem -- or possibly postmortem, hard
to tell at that point -- union with his goddess, he saw what She saw.  I
don't think you can argue that She was mistaken about this...

The vagueness of his "elsewhere" term is simply the problem that he
tussled with in his later poetry, of no words being adequate to capture
the experience.   That actual experience wasn't vague in the least, but
rather, hyper-real.  Proof not faith, as another poet sings about.

Ista had a similar moment of more-than-human perceptions, in her epiphany.

;-), L.