[LMB] Five Gods Afterlives, a bit of 5GU theology

brazee howard at brazee.net
Sat Jul 24 19:41:09 BST 2021

> On Jul 24, 2021, at 10:09 AM, Elizabeth Holden <alzurite at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have noticed that authors and philosophers don't have much of a problem
> depicting dystopias, but have a terrible time imagining utopias - that is,
> it's much easier to make a detailed description of a bad situation than a
> good one. So much so that most people's attempts to define a utopia come
> across to others as distopias. (Is Sir Thomas More listening to me from an
> afterlife?)

Oh yes.    And there’s been a long, long tradition of writers having characters decide that heaven is boring.

Writers can’t write depictions of heaven that won’t have some readers decide are not attractive.

I believe it was during the Civil War when it became popular to talk about meeting deceased loved ones in heaven.   But that kind of detail doesn’t work when we think about it, with multiple generations of loved ones, and multiple spouses all being together.

Not Hell can be speculated on in detail, because we all understand torture.   Except theologians disagree about it being torture.