[LMB] OT: Shakespeare's accent

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 04:58:15 BST 2021

It's not only a matter of accent, but pronunciation - much of Shakespeare
is written in rhyme as well as iambic pentameter, but we don't realize it
because how the words are said has shifted.  I was grateful when my
high-school English classes on Shakespearean plays used texts that had the
lines on one page and explanations of terms, customs, spelling,
pronunciation, etc. on the opposing page.  A lot of those plays isn't
possible for an uninformed modern person to properly understand.

Matt G.