[LMB] OT: Accents, was Death demon now reader response

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 25 05:24:35 BST 2021

From: brazee <howard at brazee.net>

> On Jul 24, 2021, at 11:00 AM, Markus Baur via Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:
> and finally - i never understood that US preoccupation with accents .. i am pretty sure US theaters generally do not play shakespear in elisabethan english and accent ..

A classic example is the movie Spartacus, with all of the slaves having American accents, and all of the Romans with British accents.
Another example is not as obvious to Americans, but is with all of the accents of the characters in Game of Thrones.

Gwynne: I don't mind all that much which accents they have, so long as it makes
sense; if certain people are meant to be the same family, or from the same place,
they should all have the same accent. I've seen a few Shax productions or movies
about historical figures like Henry VIII, and so on, where most of the cast are
British and there'll be the big imported American star, who has a totally different
 accent to the rest of the cast. It's jarring. If they all had the same US accent it
wouldn't be such a problem.