[LMB] Iroki

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 25 17:05:33 BST 2021

From: Jason Long <sturmvogel66 at gmail.com>

One thing about Iroki that I didn't pick up about Iroki until later in the
book is that he has eschewed personal connections. His parents are
apparently still alive and well, even if they're the ones who bothered him
about things that they thought were needful. No wife and children, as what
woman would desire "the laziest man in Pef"? How could such a man support a
family? And I doubt that Iroki has any deep friendships, either, though
evidence is lacking. He is friendly and approachable, but these are casual
things with little of himself invested. His type of enlightenment seems to
have a high cost.

Gwynne: I wonder if Penric sees a lot of himself in Iroki. They both had a
job dumped on them that sets them apart from just about everyone else.
They both have simple tastes, and want a quiet life - Pen would be happy
just as a scholar, working on his books and letters (although Des wouldn't.)
Pen has the added joy of a loving family, which Iroki doesn't have. But both
men are potterers, they like to just settle and quietly enjoy their chosen pursuits.