[LMB] OT: Accents in movies

Elizabeth Holden alzurite at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 04:18:50 BST 2021

Raymond Collins said:

>  It's always been part of the staple of movies that has the bad guys
useing
> foreign accents. In "Raiders of the lost Ark" the baddies accents are
> French and German.

Is that true internationally? I don't notice it in non-American movies, but
I am not paying close attention.  Insofar as it is true, I strongly
disapprove. It's simply xenophobia.

It isn't just "foreign" accents, either.  It's accents, period.  Regional
accents. Anything that sounds unlike what the movie-maker thinks is the
norm.

I think Canadian movies are more likely to use it for comedy, oike in "Bon
Cop, Bad Cop", where neither accent is good or  bad, just different.

namaste,
Elizabeth

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>