[LMB] OT: Shakespeare's accent

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 26 06:28:16 BST 2021

From: "Jean Lamb" <tlambs1138 at charter.net>

Sometimes Mike and I watch Benny Hill (we have DVD's and we're not afraid to
use them). Sometimes his accent and those of his cast are a little heavy
going for us Statesians.
Unless I'm drunk. For some reason, I understand him more easily when a
couple of drinks down.
Then again, Mr. Hill probably trained in music halls, where Drunk was one of
the main languages...

Gwynne: I love Benny Hill. I know that he's not woke, or whatever - but actually
if you pay attention, the women in his shows generally are the winners, and the
leering men end up looking silly. And there's just such a sense of fun about his
work.