[LMB] accents in the Vorkosiverse (was OT: Shakespeare's accent)

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 26 06:58:31 BST 2021

From: Alex Kwan <litalex at gmail.com>

This conversation actually made me wonder if accents 500 years later, or even in Miles? time would have changed, since we have been recording how people speak in so many countries, etc, for more than a century. And how much did the Barrayaran accents changed from the beginning of Time of Isolation to re-joing the rest of the Nexus.
little Alex

Gwynne: From a vague memory of comments here and there in the
books... I think Barrayaran Russian and Barrayaran English have drifted
a bit. Barrayaran Greek is a long way from anything recognisable.
Barrayaran French hasn't changed much - well, French.
They do differentiate between Barrayaran English and standard Nexus
English, but I get the impression - based on nothing I can point to - that
most people on Barrayar can do the standard English by the end of the
saga.