[LMB] OT: Roman diversity was OT: Shakespeare's accent

Elin B elbju at yahoo.se
Mon Jul 26 12:18:54 BST 2021

> On Jul 25, 2021, at 2:25 PM, brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:
>
>> >As far as *Spartacus* goes, keep in mind that the slaves (the good guys)
>> were themselves not Roman, and likely spoke what Latin they had with
>> foreign accents.  Having them speak with American accents while the Romans
>> spoke with British accents was one way to show that.
>
> >Yes.  But there’s no way they would have done it the other way around, with the slaves with British accents and the patricians with American accents.

>I suppose to be accurate, they would have had slaves with a bunch of different accents.
Apparently it would also be more accurate to feature different accents on at least a number of the patricians, as well.

I've been following this set of blog posts from a historian going into depth on Roman diversity and how it reached up into even the uppermost echelons of society. Highly interesting!

https://acoup.blog/category/collections/the-queens-latin/

Cheers,
Elin