[LMB] 5GU Avifauna

Margaret Dean margdean56 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 23:06:41 BST 2021

On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 3:26 PM Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 10:54:32 -0600, Margaret Dean <margdean56 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Because I'm a birder and notice these things, the following from Chapter 5
> >of The Assassins of Thasalon caught my eye:
> >
> >"If the terrified demon within her had owned a heart, Pen thought it would
> >have been beating like a hummingbird's wings."
> >
> >I find this interesting because in our world, hummingbirds (of which there
> >are over 300 species) are confined to the Western Hemisphere, i.e. the
> >Americas and the Caribbean. Yet in the 5GU, Penric knows enough about them
> >to use this simile, whether or not he's actually ever seen one. That
> >wouldn't be possible for a 14th (?) Century European in our world.
> >
> >Another similar anomaly is the blue jay used as the Daughter's animal at a
> >funeral in one of the books. There are various species of jay in our
> >world's Eurasia, but they're mostly brown; it's in the Americas that you
> >find jay species that are blue.
> >

> Even the brown ones have some blue.
>
> https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/jay/
>
> Yes, and they have even more of the black-and-white that's characteristic
of their relatives, magpies.

Given not only the birds, but the llamas mentioned in another post, I can't
help wondering if the South-America-equivalent tectonic plate didn't split
off from the Africa-equivalent tectonic plate in the 5GU in the same
geological timeframe as it did in our world. Or something.

--Margaret Dean
  <margdean56 at gmail.com>