[LMB] Utopias OT:

B. Ross Ashley brashley46 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 00:35:14 BST 2021

On Sat, 24 Jul 2021 16:15:18 -0400. Damien Sullivan
<phoenix at mindstalk.net wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 12:09:07PM -0400, Elizabeth Holden wrote:
>
>> I have noticed that authors and philosophers don't have much of a problem
>> depicting dystopias, but have a terrible time imagining utopias - that is,
> It's not that hard to imagine something utopia-ish.  The bigger problem
> is setting stories in it.  Tolkien said something like this, that what
> was pleasant to experience was dully to describe, while stories are a
> bunch of bad things happening to other people.  The Culture stories are
> mostly set outside the Culture, ditto Star Trek.

[snip]

And this discussion brings to mind a Robert Nathan short novel I read a
long time ago, particularly the story of a Jewish man who had converted
to a comfortable Christianity on his marriage to a Christian woman ...
_There Is Another Heaven_. IIRC Mr Lewis eventually wanders off in
search of his relatives.