[LMB] OT: AKICOTL: poetry, February (Jul 27)

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 27 05:08:33 BST 2021

Laura Gallagher <celticdragonfly at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was discussing months of the year with my beloved (Miles, as it so
> happens) and how we are almost upon August, the worst month of the
> year.  (but not the worst week of the year)  November is next, then
> February.   And I was reminded of a delightful poem about February,
> talking about what a hateful month it is, imagery of blowing and cold,
> and a conceit about how it angrily must try to achieve in 28 days what
> January had 31 to do.

Not, I suppose, the recitative from _The Pirates of Penzance_?
-----
For some ridiculous reason, to which, however, I’ve no desire to be disloyal,
Some person in authority, I don’t know who, very likely the Astronomer Royal,
Has decided that, although for such a beastly month as February,
  	twenty-eight days as a rule are plenty,
One year in every four his days shall be reckoned as nine and twenty.
-----

Joel