[LMB] OT: unicyclos and wheelbarrows

Richard G. Molpus rgmolpus at flash.net
Tue Jul 27 07:03:57 BST 2021

 It's believed that the Chinese wheelbarrow developed from carrying loads tied to a shaft that went across the shoulders (think horse saddlebags). It's very efficient, as the operator only has to push and direct the load; the central wheel carries the bulk of the weight.
 It works best on hard-packed surfaces; such as stone or gravel roads; dry packed earth is ideal. Roman roads would have been ideal.
They probably had European  style front wheel barrows; considering the huge manpower involved in the various yellow river construction projects. I'm not sure what the historic record shows on that....
 It's said that a man could carry a years' worth of rice rations on a single wheelbarrow; making the supply problems for the various armies in Olde China much easier.  This I don't doubt.