[LMB] OT Cinemas (25/7) : OT: Reader response

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Tue Jul 27 10:15:38 BST 2021

On 27/07/2021 02:11, brazee wrote:
>> On Jul 26, 2021, at 5:38 PM, Jelbelser <jelbelser at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> Shortly before quarantine hit, my husband and I saw Casablanca in a theater. I had certainly seen it multiple times on TV, but it WAS different seeing it on a big screen.
> The old movie that was enhanced the most seeing it in a movie theater was “Das Boot”.

I loved that movie (and the first time I saw it was at a cinema back
when it first came out).

But I loved it even more because it taught me something irrelevant that
enabled something years later: I was talking over video conference with
an acquaintance in Dublin. He mentioned he was going on vacation, and
the first thing he would do was visit his wife's family. In Tipperary.

So I said "All right! Have a great trip, and drive carefully! I mean,
it's a long way to Tipperary".

He nodded, then looked startled, and then he laughed. I love it when a
joke comes together.

I still don't know why that was a song they played on the U-boat, but I
liked it and the fact that it made it possible for me to make a joke
decades later makes me love it even more.