[LMB] OT: Vegans, was Religion question

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 28 07:42:45 BST 2021

On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 3:25 AM WalterStuartBushell <proto at panix.com> wrote:
> There are even Vegan terrorists. I would think Vegans would eschew
> violence against
> people because people are animals too, but no.

Gwynne: Yes, they seem blissfully unaware of the realities of life in the wild.
Animals, of course, prey on other animals - most young creatures never make
it to adulthood (turtles lay hundreds, thousands of eggs in their lives. If they're
lucky, one or two will survive to adulthood), most creatures in the wild don't
die of old age.

Pack animals show violence towards each other to maintain control and order,
they exile some members, they kill the offspring of others. (Those cute little
 meerkats are FIERCE.) Some animals kill their own young if it doesn't move
away fast enough when it becomes an adult.

And the biggest reality, of course, is that if they converted the rest of us to
veganism it would mean the deaths of millions of animals. Most farm animals
wouldn't, couldn't, be released 'into the wild'. Many of them are nowhere near
any kind of wilderness. Releasing all those domesticated animals would lead to
the deaths of massive numbers of native fauna. And the deaths of most of the
released animals, too, that couldn't survive in the wild. They can't just keep the
animals and stop them breeding, and let them die out naturally; they don't
believe in interfering with the fertility of the animals. They don't want to
protect animals, they want to wipe them out.

Some vegan clown told a blind man with a guide dog that he was abusing the
animal by using it, and that it should be released into that lovely fantasy 'wild'
that they keep banging on about. An abandoned dog could starve, or go feral
and prey on wildlife, or join a pack of other feral dogs and prey on anyone or
anything it fancied. I doubt they see that in their rosy glow. Besides, dogs and
humans evolved together, there's plenty of evidence for a really REALLY long
cohabitation of species. We made them, and they moulded us too. As we are
now, and as they are now, we're evolved to be together. Work dogs WANT to
work, if you actually know dogs you'll see all the signs of a happy working dog.

There's no logic to the claims they make to care for animals. They don't
understand the needs and lives of animals, wild or domestic. They're right that
some food animals are kept in bad conditions, but wiping out the whole species
isn't the solution.