[LMB] a note on chronology and the history of printing in the 5GU

Lois Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Wed Jul 28 17:42:37 BST 2021

Brief recap...

If we were to peg the 5GU to our history, which should not be applied
rigidly due to my free-form uses of sources -- these are stories, not
dissertations -- in round numbers, the original extended Cedonian empire
(Alexander turned the opposite way) would have started about 300 BC-BCE
(collapsed/receded 300-plus years later, not all at once)  Audar's
conquest of the Weald would be around 800 AD/CE, Ingrey and Ijada's tale
about 1200, Penric so far the mid-1300s, and Cazaril and company the
latter half of the 1400s.  So there's really only about one century
between Pen and Caz.

Printing in Pen's time had already been invented, but with carved wooden
plates like the original Chinese.  The visual quality of good
hand-scribed works was still better, but of course more laborious.  His
sorcerous invention was an improvement on an existing system, but would
be soon be eclipsed by moveable type. I think of it as the Betamax of
printing development, good but short-lived.  I hope he collected some
royalties first, as per the princess-archdivine's advice.

Ordol's work might have been printed via either system -- Temple
documents would be the last to give up sorcerous plate-making, even as
the lay world leaped on moveable type.   However, the Ibran peninsula is
usually behind the rest of the continent in development, because of the
religious wars.

No, Ordol is not Penric, though I feel his book is one of those Blessed
Chio would have approved.

Ta, L.