[LMB] Shedding demon chaos

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 02:37:40 BST 2021

Living creatures being a rich sink for disorder may be the point at which
the physics of the 5GW diverge from our own.  In our world, a
clearly-printed book is more ordered than one smudged into illegibility,
but there is no significant energetic difference - if you burned both in a
calorimeter, you wouldn't be able to determine which was which.  Despite
there being a long history in SF/F of aliens or monsters that devour souls,
the available energy that could be derived from destroying a mind is
negligible compared to metabolizing an actual brain, with or without a
functioning mind encoded in its structure.

Matt G.