[LMB] Utopias OT:

tidsel egern at protonmail.com
Thu Jul 29 09:27:53 BST 2021

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Wednesday, July 28th, 2021 at 12:27 AM, Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's worth noting that the Culture novels tend not to take place inside the
>
> Culture, because utopias are boring.
>
> Matt "nothing at stake" G.

I have only read 2 Utopian books in my life. Both took place in the Utopia, and both were fascinating.
One was  Ernest Callenbach's Ekotopia, the other Ursula Le Guin's The Dispossessed.

Interesting in this connection is A dystopian novel This Perfect Day by Ira Levin. It describes a dystopia where a big
computer and a lot of drugs runs society, and all are happy (though an upper class in the back ground runs the computer.)
Our Hero destroys the system creating total chaos. It ends there, meaning the author thinks this society is now liberated and
back to natural competition and the jungle law. On the way the hero abducts a female he knows and tries to rape her. This is ok and natural, apparently.

What is Utopia? And what is Dystopia?
Tidsel