[LMB] Utopias OT:

tidsel egern at protonmail.com
Thu Jul 29 09:41:17 BST 2021

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Saturday, July 24th, 2021 at 10:15 PM, Damien Sullivan <phoenix at mindstalk.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 12:09:07PM -0400, Elizabeth Holden wrote:
>
> > I have noticed that authors and philosophers don't have much of a problem
> >
> > depicting dystopias, but have a terrible time imagining utopias - that is,
>
> It's not that hard to imagine something utopia-ish. The bigger problem
>
> is setting stories in it.
-<snip>

This problem - if problem it is - seems to be solved by the societies either seen from the perspective of a
non-member, or that an utopian society member encounters another society, or utopia is threatened.

. And that

> "no one has to work for a living" feels like an obvious utopian move,
>
> but then conflicts with "well, what's the point of life, what do people
>
> do that doesn't feel shallow?"

No, not obvious at all, but an interesting question. 'Work' used to be surviving - enough to keep anyone occupied. 'Work' is now
various more or less interesting ways to do it. But if food and shelter come of its own, there are surely other things that demand attention.
Tidsel