[LMB] Utopias OT:

Peter Hews Peterhews at protonmail.com
Thu Jul 29 09:55:53 BST 2021

On Saturday, July 24th, 2021 at 22:15, Damien Sullivan <phoenix at mindstalk.net> wrote:

> Other problems include happiness depending on other people, yet it's not
>
> utopian to require that other people work to make you happy. And that
>
> "no one has to work for a living" feels like an obvious utopian move,
>
> but then conflicts with "well, what's the point of life, what do people
>
> do that doesn't feel shallow?"

Any Trekkie knows that one.  "We no longer work for wealth, we work to improve ourselves and society," said Captain Picard.  But if you prefer real life examples to SF, note that up till the last century most of the great works of science, not to mention most political and social reforms and a lot of great art, came from aristocrats who didn't have to work for a living.

The idea that without the discipline of wage slavery we'd all turn into trailer trash layabouts is a driving myth of capitalism.

Peter Hews