[LMB] Utopias OT:

Peter Hews Peterhews at protonmail.com
Thu Jul 29 19:16:42 BST 2021

On Sunday, July 25th, 2021 at 19:55, WalterStuartBushell <proto at panix.com> wrote:

> > On Jul 25, 2021, at 2:07 AM, Matija Grabnar via Lois-Bujold lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk wrote:
> >
> > Suppose you found a way to describe an Utopia that everybody could agree on. Where do you go from there? Any change you can describe would be for the worse. Every story about the perfect utopia would be describing the same place. The same way there are very few stories about happy families - they are all about either families that were once happy, or about families that will be happy, or some that are eternally unhappy, very few about one that is happy all the time.
>
> Ah, but you could approach a utopia as an asymptotic limit.

I'm reminded of Miles' comment that the Cetagandans are unique among eugenicists in not thinking they are already the master-race.  Can one imagine a utopia whose precepts include that they have not yet reached perfection, that their revolution is a work in progress?  One of the things wrong with Anarres, as leGuin makes clear, is that their revolution has become ossified and they can't accept change.

Peter Hews

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.