[LMB] Utopias OT: (Jul 29)

WalterStuartBushell proto at panix.com
Thu Jul 29 23:21:40 BST 2021

> On Jul 29, 2021, at 5:29 PM, Joel Polowin <jpolowin at hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> Joel Polowin <jpolowin at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Larry Niven wrote one "Known Space" short story set after the
>> "Teela Brown" gene became ubiquitous, preventing anything seriously
>> bad happening to people.  A guy sets out in his flying car, which is
>> swallowed by a giant flying alien creature.  Creature is killed, but the
>> guy has to spend 6 months in the car until the creature decays enough
>> for the car to get out.  He lives on food and drink from its built-in
>> life-support system, playing solitaire.  Apparently being lonely and
>> really, really bored isn't enough to set off the effects of the gene.
>
> Ack, I forgot to give the title: "Safe At Any Speed".
>
> Niven has mentioned, in this context, that it was hard to write stories
> about people who never had anything bad happen to them.
>
> Joel

That was a utopia of very lucky people, so they would not experience stuff
like parents dying young, or even romantic rejection a biologically different
subspecies. Of course, the luck was not for them as Teela Brown found out
but for their descendants.

Now with normal human beings interpersonal problems will always exist until
we get Betan level psychology.
—
It is wrong, always, everywhere, and for everyone, to believe anything upon insufficient evidence.” —W. K. Clifford (1845–1879), “The Ethics” My take is belief should be proportional to the evidence.