[LMB] Utopias OT:

tidsel egern at protonmail.com
Fri Jul 30 11:43:03 BST 2021

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Friday, July 30th, 2021 at 7:44 AM, Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com> wrote:

> Heinlein's Beyond This Horizon* is set in a Utopian society based on a
>
> concept called "Social Credit", the which I am not sure I understand. A
>
> lot of what makes the book work as well as it does is the existence of an
>
> underground plot to overthrow the utopia, and the fight against this plot.

I think the book Voyage From Yesteryear by James Hogan (1982) gives a good description of
the idea of social credit.

It also describes a society that works so well on this concept that is eventually
swallows up an attempt by a well armed foe to take them over. They like the place,
and only the leaders are not taken with it.
Tidsel