[LMB] Utopias OT:

Tony Zbaraschuk tzbarasc at lasierra.edu
Fri Jul 30 14:41:56 BST 2021

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 8:14 PM brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> Outsiders from utopias can be interesting.   Problems with utopias can be
> interesting.  But working utopias are boring.

Mmmm... maybe.  Depends on what you're looking for.  I can imagine being
entranced by a description of the creative mind in joyful work.

ObTolkien: when Gandalf realizes that the stone under his elbow is the
_palantir_ of Orthanc, his first thought is to use it to gaze back to
Tirion and watch Feanor at work. ;)  Then again, Tolkien had a point that
the noontide of the Blessed Realm was "long in span of years, but in memory
too brief."

I need to re-read the _Paradiso_ and see how Dante managed it.  There's
this handbook I read recently where they explain that the Paradiso is
_everyone falling in love with everyone_, and I want to try looking at it
from that angle.

Tony Z

--
Tony Zbaraschuk