[LMB] Shedding demon chaos

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 30 15:23:23 BST 2021

From: WalterStuartBushell <proto at panix.com>

> On Jul 29, 2021, at 10:12 PM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Penric would be a great house guest. One night at someone's
> house, or at an inn, and there's no fleas, lice, ticks, bed bugs,
> moths, spiders, mites, mice, rats....
> There?s a missed business opportunity there.

That alone would be motivation for an aristocrat to keep a sorcerer on staff.
The military implication of a camp free of vermin alone are great

Gwynne: I think there's a reason that sorcerers don't advertise the
fact that they can kill things just by looking at them. No matter how
many times you say, "But we can't kill humans..." there's going to be
some questions asked. If every time you sail into port, or walk into an
important building, or a military camp, you see sorcerers on duty
killing vermin... well... you start to wonder what happens if the decide
that someone is too dangerous.... a criminal.... a critic of the government...
.... and do a serious clean-up of two-legged problems as well.

Most people in the 5GU don't really know much about sorcerers. Or
saints, either. Alixtra didn't know that the Bastard's Order  HAD saints
at all, and they're possibly the most important, or necessary, saints
around. They don't know what sorcerers can and can't do.

And I think that, mostly, that's deliberate. If people knew just what
sorcerers could do... I think most of Pen's neighbours would move out.