[LMB] Preparing for a visit

Markus Baur baur at chello.at
Fri Jul 30 19:16:47 BST 2021

first thing i would do is a 5GU binge read and picking all the clues on
tech level i can find

i would then try to get at least a few months apprenticeship in one of
the heritage iron smelters - i think the 5GU needs blast furnaces and
siemens-martin furnaces (but puddling will do in a pinch)

taking a few foundry and mining handbooks with me (among other books
georg agricola's "de rei metallica" - illustrated edition)

other things that come to mind - introduction of fore and aft rigs (i
think we have only seen square and lateen rigs) .. need to check if the
5GU build clinker or carvel and if they build ouside-in or inside-out

lithography to print pictures comes to mind (if i can find the proper
limestone)

metal and wood working lathes come to mind .. together with the concepts
of precision measuring and standardisation .. as well as advanced water
mills (for more things than just milling grain) ..

servus

markus