[LMB] Bosha

Margaret Dean margdean56 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 04:12:31 BST 2021

On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 1:40 PM Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> I can see a lot of parallels between Bosha and Penric.

Well, in a funhouse-mirror sort of way...

> Each of them had a life-changing event happen to them
> when they were in their late teens, just as they were
> becoming adults. Neither of them wanted it, and had
> to adjust. And they've each made successful lives.

They were both younger sons, under a certain amount of pressure from their
family to take up a role for their family's benefit. In Pen's case this was
relatively benign--the arranged marriage with Preita--and Pen when we first
meet him is more or less okay with it before his life path takes an utterly
unexpected hard left at Albuquerque. To say that he "didn't want it"
seems... It wasn't part of his previous mental landscape at all, for him to
have any desires about one way or the other. Nobody ever said, "Hey Penric,
how would you like to be a SORCERER, huh?" in the way that Bosha kept
getting, "C'mon, bro, it would be really useful for you to become a eunuch,
how about it?" (and kept saying NO, up until the point where the choice was
taken away from him.)

But Penric did have a moment of choice later. And he chose Desdemona. As
Bosha chose the Xarre family? Maybe...

> Mind you, I think Penric got a better deal.

That, for sure!

--Margaret Dean
  <margdean56 at gmail.com>