[LMB] Utopias OT:

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Sat Jul 31 05:01:39 BST 2021

On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 12:44:02AM -0500, Eric Oppen wrote:

> Heinlein's* Beyond This Horizon* is set in a Utopian society based on a
> concept called "Social Credit", the which I am not sure I understand.  A

In practice I think it's basically basic income.  'social credit' at the
time referred to a justification for the payments:

" in nearly every case, except that of companies becoming bankrupt, the
sums paid out in salaries, wages and dividends were always less than the
total costs of goods and services produced each week: consumers did not
have enough income to buy back what they had made."  (Wikipedia)

-xx- Damien X-)