[LMB] OT: Vegans, was Religion question

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 31 14:29:42 BST 2021

From: Damien Sullivan <phoenix at mindstalk.net>

On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 12:52:24PM -0500, Eric Oppen wrote:
> That attitude of smug moral superiority is not limited to vegans.  I've
> known bicycle enthusiasts with the same outlook.  Having had my town

Car enthusiasts, too.

Gwynne: To be fair, within most groups of enthusiasts, even the ones we've
been discussing for their ratbag extremist edges, most of the members aren't
obnoxious and smug, they're just so excited and happy about their choice that
they want to share it. They can't understand how you simply can't find the
same joy in birdwatching, old cars, assorted sexual delights, their chosen
dietary regime, or whatever. If you just UNDERSTOOD it properly, you'd LOVE it!!!

There is a certain percentage who are smug and obnoxious, who poison the
water for everyone else. Some groups seem to have a far larger percentage
than others, or maybe their lunatic fringe is just louder and more visible.

Be honest, how many of us have encouraged family and friends to read Lois's
work, because it's so great and we just know they'll love it? When you find
something wonderful, you want to share the joy. (Sadly, we don't all have the
same definition of wonderful ... but then variety is the spice of humanity.)