[LMB] The Assassins of Thasalon - Chapter 12

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Sat Jul 31 22:10:17 BST 2021

On 31/07/2021 15:24, Gwynne Powell wrote:
> Thasalon proper is a walled city, and there's no horses inside the
> walls - a really good idea, actually. No big carriages, so a bit less
> congestion. And horse by-products, too. You walk, or use sedan
> chairs or rickshaws (the Uber of that time.) Being posh, the Xarres
> have their own rickshaws, and runners, with tabards and all. Classy.

I don't know if any European city implemented such a policy, and the
reason is that aristocrats were used to riding horses (either on trips
or into battle).

I don't think you could convince them to, in the event of a city being
put under siege, to forgo the use of cavalry and fight solely on foot.

And a lot of nobles had favorite horses, I'm not sure you could convince
them that horses can only be kept in holdings outside the city walls.