[LMB] OT: can't skip to the end of an ebook?

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 22:14:21 BST 2021

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 7:42 AM Harvey Fishman <fishman at panix.com> wrote:

> What publisher does allow you to "own" a book? That is what copyright is
> all about. You may own the paper and the binding, but not the book.

You don't own the text, you own the physical copy of the text - and can
give it away or sell it yourself, as you please.

With Amazon's model, you haven't purchased a copy of the text, you've
purchased an ability to access their copy, of which they retain ownership.

I dislike that model, and don't use it except for Bujold products, and I am
considering ceasing to make an exception even for her.  I'm sure it
provides a lot of conveniences for her, but supporting Amazon is starting
to look more expensive in the long run than I will pay for.  (Don't even
get me started on Disney.)

Matt G.