[LMB] Madness

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 8 06:47:40 BST 2021

From: WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com>

Mieke quotes Lois in his sig - Half of what we call madness is just some poor slob dealing with pain by a strategy that annoys the people around him - Lois McMaster Bujold.
Got me thinking about what our response should be to the annoying person. Beta can give them psychiatric help, whether they want it or not, but we can?t do that. I?m not sure that I would approve if we could. I?m not talking about ?dark Beta? but the USSR. (The USSR is a workers paradise and, if you disagree, you are out of touch with reality.) I wonder that all Betans were not walking around smiling all the time, not from anything sinister, but from people wanting to help.
In RL, we can?t even cure addictions or PTSD. What about people who go beyond annoying to an actual danger to others or themselves?
William A Wenrich

Gwynne: Irritating people will always be with us, that's just life. But those who
are struggling... I really believe that one day we will have better treatments for
so many conditions that at the moment we lump under the mental health banner.

I think that at least some of them aren't a 'mental' condition at all, as we interpret
it, it's a chemical imbalance that could be treated in some simple way. There's
evidence that in institutions there are notable behaviour changes when the diet is
changed. I think some mental conditions are caused by, or at least could be controlled
by, diet. We already know that some foods or additives 'set people off'. Maybe some
people have a sensitivity or form of allergy to some foods or additives, that causes
chemical imbalances in the brain. There's some work being done on this, but not
nearly enough. (Please don't all explain the ins and outs of this, it's just my opinion
based on some test results and observation. And logic.) One day we'll know better,
and do better.

So in the future some of Mark's annoying slobs will be treated much more effectively.