[LMB] Professionals...

Janet Gibbons sesack4th at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 9 01:42:51 BST 2021

Tsipis

________________________________
From: Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk> on behalf of alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca <alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca>
Sent: Tuesday, June 8, 2021 3:04:04 PM
To: Matija Grabnar via Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [LMB] Professionals...

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021, Matija Grabnar via Lois-Bujold wrote:
> That ties into the earlier talk about Miles rejoining his class at the
> academy. Students at the academy would be learning about tactics (from small
> unit up), ship systems, and introductions to strategy and logistics. Miles
> learned tactics and strategy from his grandfather, and I bet he had ship
> systems theory for his bed-time reading. Practical education in logistics
> (including running a fleet, and keeping it ... afloat so to speak) would
> teach him stuff that even graduates at the academy would barely know - and
> Miles was absolutely capable of applying practical knowledge to theoretical
> questions.

I suspect that watching his father and his grandfather in action solving
tough problems would give Miles some confidence that tough problems
could be solved and some approaches to do so.

> Besides, given Miles' penchant for over-preparation, I wouldn't be surprised
> if he could have passed 60% of first year classes (and some of the second
> year's, too) on the day he took the entrance exam. He was determined to get
> into the academy. In fact, he was not only determined to get in, he was
> determined to excel. So he approached it as a campaign, and you better
> believe that he gathered all the prior knowledge that he could. And he could
> gather a lot.
>
> Not only could he ask his parents for books and materials that would be
> available to academy students, (and he could ask for tutoring if something
> went over his head), he had access to recent graduates to pump for
> information.

Good point!

> Picture this:You are ensign so-and-so, sitting in the corridor, waiting for
> the meeting to finish so you can give the Admiral some papers to sign. When
> who should come along but the Admiral's (Regent's!) mutie son. He wants to
> know about your time at the academy. You did pretty well at the academy, or
> you wouldn't have gotten a staff assignment. That means you will gladly talk
> about it when you have an enthusiastic audience.
>
> Besides, why would you want to offend the kid who so obviously worships your
> uniform and your ensign's insignia? Of course you tell him all about the most
> difficult classes, the quirks of the teachers, answer his questions about the
> more obscure points in the materials. I bet that when Miles entered, he knew
> stuff about the academy some of the less successful graduates never learned.

This sounds very believable.

Alayne

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

and subvert them. -- Barbara Ehrenreich
Lois-Bujold mailing list message sent to sesack4th at hotmail.com
Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Flists.herald.co.uk%2Fcgi-bin%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Flois-bujold&data=04%7C01%7C%7C23b02e0201ca46a75bf508d92ab72c56%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637587788474005289%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=R5mGMLEIwxRdrZMEOzMkseztL8JBXlcPkX5KqKvbzYU%3D&reserved=0