[LMB] books for sale on Amazon

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 19 15:03:35 BST 2021

> On Jun 18, 2021, at 6:20 PM, Elizabeth Holden <alzurite at gmail.com> wrote:
> (Besides, one can't just choose to go live in another country. A hundred
> years ago, maybe. Just try it now. There's not much that could tempt me to
> live outside Canada, but if I had to... cheaply available books might be
> it.)

Gwynne: I think most people realise that moving to another country is rarely a
completely simple action. Depending on the country, of course. In Europe it's a
lot simpler, in some places it's way more difficult. At the moment it's basically
impossible, from Oz at least, our borders are closed and they're saying it'll be
another year or even two before travel is possible again. Some places require
all kinds of visas, official permissions and endless paperwork. My niece married
a guy from the UK, our whole family had to write reports about their relationship,
collect any photos we had of him attending family functions, etc. All to prove
their relationship was real.
And that doesn't even start to consider selling the house, and winnowing the
contents, farewelling family and friends - for a very long time at least, if not
forever. Tying up all insurances, government forms, etc. Transferring funds.
And THEN the joys of finding somewhere to live, buying a home, dealing AGAIN
with government red tape...
As I say, in some places it'd be simpler. Some places you can just drive over a
line and you're in another country. A bit more complicated when it requires
planes, goods sent by sea, and whatever else is needed. And now COVID makes
it all impossible anyway.
So... not moving.