[LMB] OT: Practice for terraforming Beta Colony on Earthly deserts

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 21 17:46:10 BST 2021

Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Gwynne: I've watched so many unrealistic movies where things happen like
> aliens arriving, and a few years after the event everyone is just accepting them
> and moving on.

See also: the repeated Dr. Who notion that as soon as the immediate
cleanup is done from the latest alien incursion, everybody will believe
that it was all a hoax / hallucination.  Never mind the recorded
information, damage to major monuments (not to mention homes etc.),
missing friends and relatives, and so forth.

Classic Dr. Who was cheesy in its way, but when people saw a giant
robot, they believed that there was a giant robot there.  And when it
was taken down, they still believed that there had been a giant robot.
There wasn't any of this stuff about trying to make them think otherwise
because the truth would cause a panic.  Yes, there was a giant robot,
and we dealt with it.  Stiff upper lip.

Joel