[LMB] OT: Practice for terraforming Beta Colony on Earthly deserts.

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 01:01:56 BST 2021

Brain tissue is expensive.  It's part of why domesticated cats have roughly
one-third fewer neurons than their wild ancestors.

Agriculture produces more calories, but far fewer nutrients.  The fatty
acids needed for brain development are especially scarce in agriculture,
even in modern days - the plants we grow and the animals we raise are
increasingly deficient.  And living densely increases the risk of diseases
and parasites.

"A sophisticated human can become primitive. What this really means is that
the human's way of life changes. Old values change, become linked to the
landscape with its plants and animals. This new existence requires a
working knowledge of those multiplex and cross-linked events usually
referred to as Nature. It requires a measure of respect for the inertial
power within such natural systems. When a human gains this knowledge and
respect, that is called "being primitive". The converse, of course, is
equally true: the primitive human can become sophisticated, but not without
incurring dreadful psychological damage."

~ *Children of Dune*, Frank Herbert