[LMB] 5GU holy days recapped

Lois Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Tue Jun 22 03:22:50 BST 2021

To recap --

The parts of the 5GU we've seen so far have four major holy days at the
solstices and equinoxes, where the gods hand over Their reigns (or
reins) to each other in turn; and four minor ones exactly halfway in
between each major one, honoring the god(ess) of its quarter at the
apex.  The mid-period Spring holiday for the Daughter was iirc the one
where Ista and her party stopped for the county fair.  The Father's
falls on Groundhog Day, also given to the Bastard in Roknari lands (a
day of fasting and staying in nervously.)  The mid-Summer holiday,
sheltered in His Mother's season, is commonly given to the Bastard in
other lands.  I don't think we've had occasion to visit the mid-Autumn
one, but it's there.  So at least 8 holidays in the year's round, plus
more purely local events -- saints' days and what-not -- scattered about
q.s.

Ta, L.